Egg salad sandwiches are my favorite thing during lent. Meatless Fridays are always hard. I am not really sure why one day a week without meat seems so hard but every year when lent rolls around, it is always hard to make it through all the Fridays without eating meat. Normally I am tripped up because I forget and eat something with meat in it, not that I specifically seek out meat.
For Good Friday, I wanted to take a fun twist on the egg salad sandwich. I love avocados and hummus, so why not trow throw them all together in one sandwich?
Great fix for Friday lunch!
Prep the eggs and avocado. Cut the eggs in half and pop out the yolks and cube the avocado in the skin.
I busted out one of my favorite new kitchen appliances, the food processor. Tossed in the egg yolks, chickpeas and mayo. Puree.
The mixture was not the smoothest, so I added in 1/2 of the 1/2 avocado to smooth it out more. Smoothness achieved!
Next I added the remaining diced avocado to a bowl, and chopped the egg whites.
Then I added the chickpea and egg yolks to the avocado. Stir gently, and salt and pepper to taste.
Done. Super simple spin on an egg salad sandwich. I piled my egg salad on top of my 45 calorie Wheat Sarah Lee bread and topped with a pile of greens. Yum!
Oh and remember I told you I had a weakness for puffed popcorn? Yeah, the remaining popcorn from the other night joined my sandwich.The bag is gone now…
ACE Sandwich (Avocado, Chickpea, and Egg Sandwich)
yields 2 sandwiches
- ½ avocado skin and seed removed, cubed
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and yolks and whites separated
- ½ cup chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- Salt & Pepper
- In food processor, puree garbanzo beans, egg yolks, 1/2 of cubed avocado and mayo.
- Chop egg whites and place in a small bowl with 1/2 of cubed avocado.
- Add chickpea puree to chopped egg whites and avocado. Mix together all ingredients until combined. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place on your favorite bread, and top with lettuce, tomato and cheese if desired.
- All ingredients can be added into food processor at step two to make a dip to serve with veggies, chips or toasted bread.