Black Pepper Linguine. Who comes up with this stuff? Instantly, the package was in my cart and in the grocery bag to go home.
Then the noodles sat in my cabinet, for what seemed like an eternity. Ok, they were still safe to eat. My eternity was probably only 3 weeks, but in my defense, when you are racking your brain daily for the perfect meal to make with these noodles, time seems to go by faster than it really is.
I am an avid reader of the Pioneer Woman and her Tasty Kitchen Blog. I check both of these everyday, searching for inspiration, delicious recipes, and a few good laughs. A Carbonara recipe popped up a few weeks ago, and I know instantly, this is how I was going to use those pesky noodles!
Now as we have covered, this girl does not like spicy food. The recipe called for chiles. Yeah… No. Instead, I knew that the black pepper in the noodles would be pungent enough to add the zip that was needed for this recipe.
Oh how you are going to love this one! How can you go wrong when bacon is involved? 😉
Starting with a non- stick skillet, brown bacon and chicken on medium/high heat. The chicken may sweat, so you may need to drain off the water once cooked, to get the bacon and chicken to brown fully.
Add in corn, garlic and thyme once bacon and chicken is browned and crispy. You will want to lightly brown the corn too. About 5 minutes.
Now open an bottle of wine. Pour 1/2 cup into pan. Then pour yourself a glass to enjoy while cooking. The remaining can be served with dinner. How convenient!
In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks. Slowly add in the reserved cooking liquid to temper the yolks. Don’t pour liquid into eggs too quickly, you don’t want to have scrambled eggs! Pour slowly, whisking the whole time. Pour over corn mixture and stir.
Top with cheese and stir one last time. Ta-da!
The noodles fully lived up to my expectations as did the Carbonara recipe. This was a major hit with my roommate as well. Yumm!
Now were was that bottle of wine….
BCC Carbonara aka Bacon Chicken Corn Carbonaraadapted from Pasta Carbonara with Corn and Chiles from Tasty Kitchen
yields 6 servings
- 1 pound Black Pepper Linguine
- 1 pound chicken breast, diced
- ⅓ pounds bacon, diced
- ¾ package frozen corn
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tablespoon thyme, dry
- ½ cups dry white wine
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cups Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In large saucepan, brown bacon and chicken on medium/high heat. Add the corn, garlic, and thyme and saute for 5 minutes. Pour in the wine. Simmer on low heat for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks. Slowly add in the reserved cooking liquid to temper the yolks, whisking continually. If the liquid is too hot and you pour too quickly, there is risk of scrambling the eggs.
- Toss the pasta and egg yolk sauce with chicken and corn mixture. Remove from heat, add the cheese and toss to thicken sauce.
- Top with extra cheese and fresh cracked black pepper, if desired.