In the fall, I wait patiently for the grocery stores to start stocking pomegranates. The first pomegranate I had was in China, and I fell in love! These almost impossible to eat fruits are simply delicious. However, I only eat a few a year due to their high cost, but I do make sure I get several before the season is over.
Since we are in cookie making mode, why not put the seeds into cookies? Why not? A play on the cherry chocolate combo? To my surprise, it worked out wonderfully.
Cutting and peeling out all the juicy seeds is the scariest part of this recipe. You will need to take a few minutes to dissect, but it will be worth it. For all the pomegranates that I have eaten in my life, I have developed a few tips and tricks on how to get them open. First you will want to cut the fruit in half, but only cutting in through the skin. You will be able to pull the two sides apart with a little twisting and pulling. Make sure you catch the seeds that fall out when you pull. Next cut the halves into half or even thirds. The peeling process can be difficult because of all the skin on the inside, but if you fill a bowl with water and peel the fruit over it, the seeds will sink and the skin will float, making them easily separable.
See, wasn’t that easy? Now strain the fruit and set it aside while you mix up your cookies.
The cookie recipe is pretty straight forward, all the normal suspects are on the recipe list. We all know that you are not going to want pink cookies, so there is a trick to getting the seeds in the cookies. First get out your cookie sheets, and scope out all the cookies. One by one, you will crumble the dough ball and drop on a few seeds. Gently push the two back together, slightly rolling it into a ball so all the seeds are incorporated, but not crushed. Pat down lightly and Voila!
Tart and sweet, these will be a great addition to your winter baking 🙂
Pomegranate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from the Two Peas & Their Pod Recipe
yields 2 1/2 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees .
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until smooth with electric mixer. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Mix in flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Make dough balls tucking 6-8 pomegranate seeds into each cookie dough ball. Flatten each ball slightly. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for two minutes. Transfer to tin foil to finish cooling.