Its day 2 of my 7 Day Clean Eating Challenge and I made this last night! And yes, the photo is crap, you really can tell I took the photo when it was night. Dang lighting. But I didn’t want to miss out on sharing the recipe!
I am super excited about this Challenge group I have been talking about because we have 80 participants! Holy Moly Right?? The group has been super fun and share clean eating ideas.
I have 2 goals for this challenge #1 DRINK MORE WATER & #2 Cut out my daily “treat” of a cookie or dessert.
“They”, the fitness gods, say you should be drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day. I have been goaling myself to hit this mark everyday since February, but never have I been able to get there! Yesterday, I hit 80 Oz- my goal amount! Today and every day this week I am going to make myself hit this goal! My bladder is in for a rude awakening and several trips to the ladies room, but I will achieve this goal.
Treats are the death of me. You all know I love cookies, I even made 25 days worth of cookies once! I have no idea how I went from making desserts in high school and college and not really ever eating them, just enjoying the fact that they made others happy, to today, where I see a cookie and it has to be in my belly. This has been a tough nut for me to crack. I even gave up desserts for lent, 40 whole day! They say 21 days to make a habit, so since I almost doubled that, I thought I would be free… not the story here Jane. Back at it I go. Now I would NEVER eliminate desserts from my life, I am a baker after all, but I really need to reduce the number of them I eat a week. This week, we are aiming for ZERO.
Now I bet you want to know about this recipe today, huh? Summer Veggie & Shrimp Fried Quinoa happened at our house the first time because I had a bunch of veggies and no idea what to make for dinner. It was more or less throwing everything I had in a pan to see what came out. TADA- we have Summer Veggie & Shrimp Quinoa. I hope you all enjoy the recipe. Feel free to play with the veggies to meet your taste buds. Carrots, zucchini, corn, peas, snow peas- all would be great options to add too!
Summer Veggie & Shrimp Fried Quinoa
yields 4 servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (homemade if you have it)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 pint sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 5 asparagus spears, cut into 4 pieces each
- 1/2 squash, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 20 large uncooked shrimp, devained, peeled and tail-less.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 table spoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- fresh cracked back pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a medium sauce pan, add quinoa and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to a simmer for 15 minutes. All the water should be dissolved and you can fluff with a fork.
- In a wok, or large fry pan, on medium-high heat, add coconut oil, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, squash and broccoli. Toss with oil and cook until vegetables are just about cooked, but still crunchy.
- Pat try shrimp between 2 paper towels. Add in shrimp to pan, and cook until shrimp begin to form orange “c’s”.
- Push veggies and shrimp to the side of the pan, and add eggs. Scramble eggs, then fold into veggie and shrimp mixture. You can do this in a separate pan too if it feels more comfortable.
- Add in cooked quinoa, soy sauce, oyster sauce, red pepper flakes, and fresh cracked pepper. Stir until all is incorporated. Turn the heat up to high, and stir every minute or so for 5 minutes. You want the crisp up your qunioa a little.
- Prior to serving, once the heat is off, squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the top of the quinoa.
- Serve immediately.