Day 8 of 25 Days of Christmas My Urban Oven Style!
Glad you decided to stop back in. This cookie recipe will not disappoint, promise.
On my drive home from work, I started thinking about my favorite cookie, Date Filled Oatmeal cookies. There is this bakery in my grandparents hometown that makes these cookies and they are my biggest weakness. They also have a date filled sugar cookie that is my mom’s favorite. During my 25 Days of Cookies, I recreated the Date Filled Sugar Cookies, and they were fantastic.
Since I was thinking about dates, I thought I could make another cookie with them, which lead me to blend together my most popular Pinterest recipe and the date filling from my sugar cookies.
These cookies were fantastic! The shortbread isn’t too sweet and is complimented by the date filling.
I wanted to eat the whole batch of these.
I keep thinking about when I am going to have time to do all of my Christmas baking this season. I know many people who do cookie exchanges or baking days in early Christmas. I however like my cookies to be super fresh. If I were to take part in one of these cookie exchanges or baking days I would have to make my holiday cookies twice. Once for eating during December and again to take to our family gatherings. That just seems like a little too many cookies.
Maybe I will take a day off the week of Christmas to bake.
Maybe I we will have snow by then.
Maybe I will cut back on how much I bake this year because of the time.
Maybe I just lied.
Who are we kidding, I will over bake for yet another year in a row.
When you do your holiday baking, I hope you decide to add these to your list. I sure will.
Remember to stay tuned for more of 25 Days of Christmas My Urban Oven Style!
Look back at the last few days:
P.S. To keep yourself up to date on all things My Urban Oven, make sure you are following us on all our Social Media channels. There are new photos and posts all the time, but not always the same ones on each channel. Don’t miss out by not following along on each 🙂
*NEW* Periscope- @MyUrbanOven
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 8 oz chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- In a sauce pan, combine water, sugar and dates. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow dates to reduce down.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or the large bowl of your stand mixer, on medium speed, beat the butter for 5 minutes (the butter will double in size).
- Add the egg yolk and beat an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and beat for another additional 5 minutes.
- Then add the flour in 4 parts (1/2 cup at a time), beating for 2 minutes after each addition.
- Beat an additional 2 minutes.
- Roll the batter into balls using 1″ cookie scoop and place on parchment paper covered baking sheets.
- Create an indent in each cookie with your thumb or the back of measuring spoon. Scoop date filling into each cookie.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 14-15 minutes until slightly brown on the bottom edge. Transfer to tin foil immediately too cool. Store in air tight container.